Migratory Game Bird Hunting Season

When we begin planning our hunts a big question some hunters ask themselves is “Do I have all of the appropriate documentation?” Having all of the correct paperwork is extremely important, not only for personal safety but also for the benefit of waterfowl and their habitat (please see the list below for links to the Rules and Regulations for each province/territory).

The Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit

A Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit is one piece of documentation that is required for all migratory game bird hunters, hunting in Canada. Permits come affixed with a Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp to validate the permit.

Permits can be purchased online and printed at your home using Environment Canada’s e-permitting system, or they can be purchased at Canada Post outlets and select independent vendors.

The Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit and Conservation

Through the purchase of your Permit, you are contributing to waterfowl and waterfowl habitat conservation across Canada. Eight dollars and fifty cents from every Permit sold is allocated to Wildlife Habitat Canada, a not-for-profit organization, dedicated to the restoration, conservation and enhancement of wildlife. Through a grant program, the revenue generated from the Stamp is invested in habitat conservation projects and hunter education and recruitment projects across Canada.

Making a Difference

By following the rules and regulations in the province or territory in which you are hunting, you are playing an important role in maintaining abundant waterfowl populations within the carrying capacity for the habitat in which they live.

For additional information on the Migratory Birds Convention Act or Regulations, please contact Environment Canada: 1-800-668-6767 or enviroinfo@ec.gc.ca  

Wildlife Habitat Canada would like to thank hunters for their contribution to wildlife habitat, conservation, restoration and enhancement. Together we make a difference.

Hunting information (rules, regulations, license requirements, etc…) by province/territory: