Conservation Grant Program
PLEASE NOTE: THE APPLICATION WINDOW FOR THE 2018/2019 GRANTING APPLICATIONS IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE CHECK BACK AGAIN NEXT YEAR.
Wildlife Habitat Canada has provided over $50 million in grants to more than 1,500 habitat conservation projects across Canada since the development of the program in 1985.
Our work with communities, landowners, governments, non-government organizations, and industry across the nation has leveraged additional funds for conservation issues, roughly $150 million invested.
Funding for the program is generated from the Canadian Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp, purchased primarily by waterfowl hunters through Migratory Game Bird Hunting permits. Revenue from these purchases are earmarked for our Grant Program thanks to a unique partnership with the Canadian Wildlife Service of Environment and Climate Change Canada.
As part of our agreement, WHC is mandated to recognize the primary source of funding as related to waterfowl hunters and will therefore primarily support proposals that:
- address priority activities under the North American Waterfowl Management Plan (NAWMP) including the human dimensions goal;
- impact regional and local habitats of importance to other migratory game birds;
- prioritize activities under the Newfoundland and Labrador Murre Conservation Fund.
While WHC recognizes the importance of projects involving habitat conservation, restoration and enhancement for other wildlife (i.e. Other than migratory game birds) and fish, these types of projects are not eligible for funding consideration under the Contribution Agreement between Environment and Climate Change Canada and Wildlife Habitat Canada.
- Habitat Conservation Grants
- Habitat Conservation Research Grants
- Conservation Networking Grants (Wetland Education and/or Hunter Recruitment/Education)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Murre Conservation Fund Grants
Grant Funding Applications are due the first week of November of each year, for projects to be carried out in the next fiscal year (Wildlife Habitat Canada’s fiscal year is April 1 to March 31).
For further information on the current year Grant Program, please click on one of the following buttons: